Are you looking for a low-carb alternative to regular bread? Keto sourdough bread is the perfect substitute. This delicious, yet healthy variation of traditional sourdough bread can fit easily into any ketogenic diet. Not only that, it’s packed full of vitamins and minerals; not to mention it tastes amazing. Whether you are just beginning your journey on the Ketogenic Diet or have already adopted this lifestyle – this recipe has something in store for you. Read on to find out more about its irresistible flavor and health benefits, as well as instructions for baking (incl. an easy how-to video) so that every time your kitchen fills with the aroma of freshly baked keto sourdough bread.
What is Keto Sourdough Bread?
Keto sourdough bread is made using a combination of keto-friendly ingredients like almond flour, flaxseed meal, and psyllium husks. Unlike other types of bread, it’s free of grains and added sugar, so it fits right in with your high-fat, low-carb eating plan. Plus, it’s packed with essential nutrients like fiber and protein, making it a great addition to your diet.
The health benefits of Keto Sourdough Bread
Keto sourdough bread is a low-carb alternative to traditional white and wheat flour loaves, making it ideal for those who want to maintain a ketogenic diet. It’s packed full of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, selenium, zinc, phosphorus and iron. This hearty bread is also high in fiber which helps improve digestion and promote healthy gut bacteria. Not to mention, it is a great source of plant-based proteins which are essential for your health and well-being.
Why you’ll love this Keto Sourdough Bread recipe?
Keto sourdough bread has a distinct flavor, unlike regular white or wheat loaves. The tangy taste of the ‘sourdough’ is sure to tantalize your palate with every bite. This recipe uses almond flour and psyllium husk powder as the main ingredients, meaning it contains no gluten for those who have allergies or intolerances. Not to mention, it is incredibly easy to make. All you need are a few simple ingredients and some patience.
How to make Keto Sourdough Bread?
Ingredients to make Keto Sourdough Bread
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Instructions to make Keto Sourdough Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the sourdough starter until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and olive oil. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
- Grease a loaf pan with oil or butter. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving.
Troubleshooting common issues with Keto Sourdough Bread
Keto sourdough bread may look and taste like regular sourdough, but it is not without its challenges. Here are some of the most common issues people run into when baking keto-friendly sourdough:
- Dough that won’t rise: Keto dough has a lower gluten content than traditional sourdough, making it harder for the dough to rise. Try adding a small amount of vital wheat gluten or psyllium husk powder to help with the rising process.
- Crust that is too hard: Keto sourdough crusts tend to be tougher than traditional sourdough because of the lack of gluten in the recipe. To soften the crust, try brushing the top of the loaf with melted butter or ghee before baking.
- Loaf that is too dense: If your loaf is coming out too dense, it could be because you’re not allowing it to rise long enough. The longer the dough rises, the lighter and fluffier the final product will be.
Tips to make Keto Sourdough Bread perfectly
Baking Keto Sourdough Bread is easy and delicious. Follow these simple tips for perfect results:
- Use quality ingredients such as almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, and psyllium husk powder.
- Make sure your sourdough starter is active and bubbly before you begin.
- Mix the dough well to ensure that all ingredients are well combined.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes before letting it rise.
- Bake the bread at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving.
What to serve with Keto Sourdough Bread?
Keto Sourdough Bread is perfect with a variety of toppings or spreads. Here are some ideas:
- Avocado and tomato salsa for a light, summery snack.
- Cream cheese with fresh herbs like chives or dill for an easy lunch.
- Nut butter and honey for an indulgent breakfast.
- Hummus and vegetables for a high-protein snack.
- Nutella and banana slices for a sweet treat.
- Olive tapenade or pesto for an Italian twist.
Keto Sourdough Bread is also great with any soup or salad, making it the perfect side dish.
Recipe ideas with Keto Sourdough Bread
Keto sourdough bread is perfect for sandwiches, toast, and more. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- BLT Sandwich: Make a classic bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich with keto sourdough bread.
- Avocado Toast: Top slices of keto sourdough bread with mashed avocado, sea salt, and pepper.
- Garlic Bread: Spread softened butter on keto sourdough bread and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Add cheese, tomato slices, and your favorite spices to two slices of keto sourdough bread for a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
- French Toast: Dip keto sourdough bread slices in whisked eggs and pan-fry for a delicious breakfast treat.
How to store Keto Sourdough Bread?
Leftover Keto Sourdough Bread can be kept in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the bread for longer storage; just make sure to wrap it well and place it into a freezer-safe bag. When ready to eat, you can defrost the bread at room temperature or in the refrigerator and then toast it for a few minutes in the oven.
Conclusion: Keto Sourdough Bread
Keto Sourdough Bread is a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional white and wheat flour loaves. Not only does it fit perfectly into the ketogenic diet, but it’s packed full of vitamins, minerals and plant-based proteins. With its irresistible flavor, easy baking instructions (incl. a how-to video), and endless possibilities for toppings and spreads, Keto Sourdough Bread is sure to be a hit in your household. Enjoy it with soup, salads, or even as a light snack; the choice is yours. So what are you waiting for? Try this tasty treat today and start reaping its health benefits.
FAQs: Keto Sourdough Bread
Can you make keto sourdough bread?
If you adhere to a keto diet, sourdough bread made with all-purpose flour is off-limits. But fear not, this recipe using low-carb ingredients such as almond flour will satisfy your cravings without any regrets. Give it a try and indulge in guilt-free indulgence.
Is keto sourdough bread better for low carb?
There are a few keto sourdough bread recipes that replace the all-purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour, making them keto and low-carb. While keto sourdough bread is better for those on a low-carb diet, it’s important to moderate your intake and be mindful of the portion size as this bread is still high in fat. keto dieters can enjoy sourdough bread as long as they moderate their intake and be mindful of the portion size. A slice or two of sourdough bread with a keto-friendly meal is perfectly fine and will not affect your ketosis. Just make sure you enjoy it in moderation.
Does keto sourdough bread have side effects?
Many people are allergic to gluten and wheat, so they avoid sourdough bread. The side effects of eating this type include bloating or weight gain in some cases which can be avoided by staying away from the ingredient list on your package.
Does keto sourdough bread raise blood sugar?
There are a few keto sourdough bread recipes that replace the all-purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour, making them keto and low-carb. While keto sourdough bread is better for those on a low-carb diet, it’s important to moderate your intake and be mindful of the portion size as this bread is still high in fat.
Does keto sourdough bread make you bloated?
The use of various wheat-based flour in sourdough bread leads to some people feeling bloated and others gassier than usual.
Can you eat sourdough bread on a keto diet?
Absolutely. Just make sure to inquire with your baker or read the label. Not only does sourdough offer immense health advantages, it is also a perfect fit for both keto and vegan diets. Embrace the goodness of sourdough without sacrificing your love for bread.
Is sourdough bread keto?
Although sourdough bread undergoes a fermentation process that reduces its carb content compared to other bread types, it is not typically classified as low carb. However, it is possible to include sourdough bread in a keto diet depending on the flour used.
Is sourdough bread keto friendly?
Traditional sourdough bread is made with just two or three ingredients – flour, water, and sometimes salt. However, because it is typically made with high-carb grains like wheat, it is not considered keto-friendly. Those who are strictly following a ketogenic diet should steer clear of it.
Is sourdough bread good for keto?
While sourdough bread undergoes fermentation, making it relatively low in carbs compared to other bread, it is not typically considered a low-carb food. However, depending on the type of flour used, sourdough bread can be included in a keto diet.
Is keto sourdough bread high in carbs?
Not all sourdough bread is low in carbs. Traditional sourdough loaves, which are made with all-purpose flour, are high in carbs. A small slice of traditional sourdough usually contains between 17 and 20 grams of carbs.
Albion Morrison Founder : Earl’s Grocery is a sandwich restaurant that serves up Earl’s Real food. The atmosphere is comfortable and contemporary, making it the perfect place to enjoy a great meal.
Address: EARL’S GROCERY, 1609 ELIZABETH AVE, CHARLOTTE, NC 28204. Tel: (704) 333-2757